PREP YOURSELF FOR THE IL LEGISLATIVE SESSION!
Our elected officials will returned to Springfield this week, we are off and running in the advocacy department on a new legislative session as well!
Before we jump right in and ask you to make those important phone calls and send those urgent emails to the legislature, here is a quick rundown of the issues we're going to be focusing on this legislative session.
· Prevent and Reduce Obesity – Healthy Eating Active Living Act: Reducing the Consumption of Sugar Sweetened Beverages
Secure a penny-per-ounce excise tax on sugar-sweetened beverages and ensure that a portion of the state revenue generated by the tax is dedicated to health, obesity prevention and Medicaid funding.
· Prevent and Reduce Obesity – Protect P.E. in Illinois Schools and Implementation of P.E. in Chicago Public Schools
Protect IL’s strong elementary and secondary school P.E. mandate from expected attacks and ensure the implementation of daily P.E. in Chicago Public Schools.
· Tobacco Control – Protect the Illinois Smoke-Free Air Act
Prevent any rollback of existing Smoke Free IL protections, notably in casinos and taverns.
· Systems of Care – Statewide STEMI System of Care
Establish STEMI Systems of Care in line with the American Heart Association’s Mission: Lifeline Campaign via statewide legislation and work to secure state funding to assist local communities in purchasing automated external defibrillators, 12-lead EKGs, ambulances and other critical EMS equipment and infrastructure.
· System of Care – Rebuild Illinois’ EMS System
Rebuild Illinois’s EMS system by securing a stable, dedicated funding source for EMS and pursue an increase in Medicaid reimbursement rates for EMS providers.
· Acute Cardiovascular Care – Lauren’s Law Implementation
Ensure the implementation of Lauren’s Law requiring all high school students to learn CPR prior to high school graduation.